Samford University Library Samford University

University Library Exhibits and Events

» Current exhibit



Past
Exhibits

  2013
  2012
  2011
  2010
  2009
  2008
  2007
  2006
  2005
  2004
  2003
  2002
  2001
  2000
  1999

Moving Students, Moving Forward

Exhibit: May 8 – June 30, 2012

The University Library exhibits materials and photographs from the university archives including research by graduating senior Lydia Smith, under the direction of Dr. Charles Ford. The exhibit is showcased on the first floor, east of the grand staircase.

Harwell Goodwin “Major” Davis. President of Howard College, 1939-1958.

President Harwell Goodwin Davis (1939-1958) had seen Howard College and its students through economic depression and war. Previously in East Lake, the College was host to a branch of the U.S. Navy's V-12 training program, a result of active lobbying on President Davis's part. The funds from this program helped keep the college afloat and look for room to grow – a view which would lead to Shades Valley and the present day campus at Lakeshore Drive.

1953. Groundbreaking for a New Campus.
September 17, 1954. The Crimson.
[1954]. Construction of Administration Building.

By the late 1940's, a site had been selected, and the first groundbreaking occurred in 1953. Samford Hall was dedicated two years later in 1955, the first building to be completed. Howard College officially occupied campus in 1957, with students both excited and nostalgic about the move. Included are photos of groundbreaking, building construction, and presidential portraits. Also shown are volumes of Entre Nous from that transitional senior class, as our own senior class of 2012 begin their move into the future.

1956. Aerial view from Old Montgomery Hwy of campus under construction.
The New Howard College Campus.
Leslie Stephen Wright. President of Howard College - Samford University, 1958-1983.

The Lakeshore campus itself has seen changes - Howard College has become Samford University, buildings have been added, remodeled, expanded. A property nearby to campus, 330 Lakeshore Drive, has a connection with Samford. Graduating senior Lydia Smith, under the direction of Dr. Charles Ford, shares her research on this historic property and its legacy as part of this display.

1929. Homewood and Hollywood areas.
1959. 330 Lakeshore Drive.
2011. 330 Lakeshore Drive.

About the Contributors

Lydia R. Smith is a graduating senior in the School of the Arts, Department of Interior Architecture.

The original materials for the exhibit and additional information about Howard College/Samford University can be located in the University Archives, Special Collection.

Closing date: June 30, 2012

text provided by Marliese Thomas
Source: 160 Years of Samford University: For God, For Learning, Forever by Sean Flynt (Arcadia Publishing, 2001)


Do you have a collection to exhibit?

» Read our Exhibition Space policy and procedures [pdf]


Rushton Memorial Carillon
Community News
Special Collection Treasure Chest SUL Government Documents Blog Special Collection on Flickr Join us on Facebook Samford Univerity Library News