Skip to Content
Frequently Answered Questions
- Can patrons renew books over the phone?
No, books may not be renewed over the phone. Samford faculty, staff, and students may request renewals online by clicking on "my account" from the library's home page. Special Patrons may not renew materials.
- Does the library have a "lost and found"?
Yes. One is located at the main circulation desk at the front entrance of the library and the other is at the computer lab help desk on the lower level.
- Does the library have a back entrance/exit?
Yes. But it is for handicapped patrons and deliveries to the library only.
- What equipment is available for checkout?
Undergraduate and graduate students only may check out video cameras,tripods, LCD projectors, portable sound systems, slide projectors, overhead projectors, screens, and tape recorders. Check with the Circulation desk for checkout periods. Equipment carries a $5.00 per hour overdue charge up to a maximum of $100.00 per item. Patrons are responsible for loss or damage to equipment.
Faculty and staff may contact the TLC (Technology in Learning Center) for equipment, 726-4045.
- How do I get help with the computer labs?
Although the circulation staff is here to help you in any way possible, we are not experts in the computer lab nor do we maintain the computer labs. For the best possible help seek out a computer lab assistant or the computer lab manager.
- Does the library sell copy cards for the copiers that only take a card?
All library photocopiers accept the Samford ID card for payment. If you do not have a Samford ID,
the library has a Card Value Center located underneath the grand staircase that will enable you to buy a copy card for $1.00.
The card will have a ZERO balance. You must add a monetary amount to the card before using.
If you are a Samford student you may add monetary amounts to your Samford ID using the Card Value Center.
- What are the overdue fine rates?
- Regular circulation materials- 20 cents/day
- GovDocs- 20 cents/day
- ILL (InterLibrary Loan)- 50 cents/day
- Multimedia Equipment- $5/hour, maximum $100.00
- Study room keys - $5/hour
- Reserve- 25 cents/hour
- Reserve and study room key removal- one time, per item, $10 fine
- Replacement Cost- value of the material
- Processing Fee (when material has to be replaced)- $10 per item replaced
- Who pays overdue fines?
- Undergraduate students and Graduate students of Samford University
- Undergraduate and Graduate students of other universities with a cooperative agreement with Samford.
- Special Patrons
- Faculty (ILL only)
- What happened to my fines at the library?
At the end of each semester, current accumulated fines on each patron's account are transferred to the Bursar's Office and must be paid there.
- If I attend another university can I checkout materials at Samford University Library?
Anyone can come and use library materials for research. Only students of other universities
which Samford has a cooperative borrowing agreement with may checkout materials.
This means that Samford students may borrow materials from their libraries as well.
The libraries that Samford has an agreement with are:
Students must present a current student I.D. from their college or university.
- Bessemer State Tech
- Birmingham Southern College
- Birmingham Theological Seminary
- Faulkner University
- Jefferson State Community College
- Judson College
- Lawson State Jr. College
- Miles College
- New Orleans Seminary Extension Center
- Southeastern Bible College
- Spring Hill College (Birmingham Extension Center)
- UAB, Mervyn H. Sterne Library
- UAB, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
- University of Montevallo, Carmichael Library
- Can faculty charge photocopies to their department's account?
No. Faculty must bring a copy card.
- How long can I checkout a book? full policy
- Faculty- one semester with two renewals
- Doctoral students- one semester with one renewal
- Samford university's undergraduate and graduate students- 28 days with one renewal for 28 days
- Special Patrons including other university's undergraduate and graduate students- 28 days with no renewal
- How many books can I have on my account at a time?
- Faculty- 100
- All Samford students and Doctoral of Ministry students- 100
- Special Patrons- 10
- Other University students- 10
- What can I do if material that I need is checked out?
The circulation staff can put a hold on that material. When the material is returned you will get the first opportunity to check the material out. The material will be placed on the hold shelf at the circulation desk and you will be notified to come retrieve the material. Material stays on the hold shelf for 7 days. Then it will be returned to the stacks. If you are in immediate need of material the circulation staff can recall material. This will send a notice to the patron that has the material and request an early check-in of that material if possible. A recall is a request to a patron not a demand.
- Where can I pick up/return my InterLibrary Loan materials?
After your materials have come to the library they will be processed by the library and put at the circulation desk for pickup.
You will be notified when the material is ready to be picked up.
You may also leave the interlibrary material at the circulation desk when you are ready to return it to the lending library.
- If something is on reserve where do I get it?
All reserve items are located at the main circulation desk and may be checked out there.
- Does the library have a book drop for me to return material when the library is closed?
Yes. It is located at the northwest handicapped/delivery entrance between the library and Dwight Beeson Hall.
- Does the library have a computer that I can check out?
No. The library does not have computers for checkout, but there is a computer lab in the library open the same hours as the library.
- What if I can't find the book that I need?
If you can't find the material that you need you may request
assistance from either the reference desk or the main circulation desk.
A staff person will be willing to help you find the material that you need.
- Where are the study rooms?
Individual Study rooms are available on the third floor for Samford students,
on a first come, first served basis. Group Study rooms are intended for 2 or more Samford students.
A key must be checked out from the Circulation desk for a 2 hour period. After 2 hours, the key must be returned or may be renewed if no one is waiting for the room. Patrons will be asked to vacate the study room if a key has not been checked out from the Circulation desk. Study rooms on the Lower Level may be reserved for groups of 3 or more by contacting the Computer lab help desk. A $5.00 per hour overdue fee is charged for keys not returned or renewed after 2 hours.
- When is the library open?
The library has an hours recording that you may get the most up to date information about the library's operation hours.
You may reach the recording at (205) 726-4015.