This page will offer you a brief overview of the materials within the Special Collection Department. It is not an exhaustive description but rather a brief outline of the collection housed within the department. For a more specific search, please see the Library Catalog, the Alabama Baptist Index, or the Special Collection Database.
Howard College and Samford University
Special Collection department serves as the University Archives for Samford.
- Official Publications of the University
- Howard College Catalogues beginning with 1845
- Matriculation Schedule
- Entre Nous beginning in 1909
- Doctorate of Ministry Projects
These dissertations are available to be checked out in circulation. Dissertations are located on the third floor at LD4881.53. You may also use this call number to find a current list of dissertations in the catalog.
- Education Dissertations
These dissertations are available to be checked out in circulation. Dissertations are located on the third floor at LD4881.54. You may also use this call number to find a current list of dissertations in the catalog.
The Alabama Collection of published materials includes:
- Alabama genealogical source materials
- Biographies of Alabamians
- State, county, town, community, and area histories
- Histories of institutions, groups, and movements
- Histories of Alabama churches (various denominations)
Recognized as the world's most complete resource on Alabama Baptists.
- Original church and association records
- Histories of Baptist organizations, agencies, and institutions
- Histories of Baptist Associations in Alabama
- History of Alabama Baptist churches
- Printed minutes of the Baptist state convention, agencies, and institutions
- Printed minutes of the Southern Baptist Convention
- Biographical information of individual Alabama Baptist biographies
Dr. Albert E. Casey favored the Special Collection with his fine historical collection of materials on Southern Ireland, focusing on counties Cork and Kerry. An annotated bibliography of the collection is available online as well as within the department.
Alabama census records:
- Population schedules: 1820 - 1880; 1900 - 1930
- State census: 1855, 1866
- Industrial census: 1850, 1860
- Social census: 1860
Census records for southeastern states, 1850
- Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia
Periodicals, Historical & Genealogical
Most historical and genealogical periodicals published in Alabama are available. To see a list of the titles housed in the Special Collection Department you may check the Special Collection Periodical List.
The following is a partial list consisting of Baptist newspapers/periodicals published in the Southeastern states unless otherwise noted.
- Alabama Baptist and variant titles, 1843 to date.
- Alabama Christian Advocate (Methodist); 1881 - 1960 (MFP 2.5)
- Baptist Courier (South Carolina), 1869 - 1900 (MFP 3.19)
- Baptist and Reflector (Tennessee), 1889 - 1920 (MFP 3.3)
- Baptist Standard (Texas), 1892 - 1940 (MFP 3.25)
- Biblical Recorder (North Carolina), 1834 - 1940 (MFP 3.2)
- Christian Index (Georgia), 1822 - 1940 (MFP 3.5)
- Florida Baptist Witness, 1885 - 1940 (MFP 3.24)
- Religious Herald (Virginia), 1828 - date (MFP 3.4)
- Tennessee Baptist, 1835 - 1839; 1844 - 1888 (MFP 3.8)
- Western Recorder, 1835 - 1862; 1865 - 1940 (MFP 3.1)
The map collection includes over 3,000 maps. An annotated bibliography of the collection is available in the department.
The manuscript collections include family files, diaries, and biographical information on Alabama Baptist pastors and laity; and county, state, and local materials. The following is a list of selected items. It is not comprehensive.
Alabama - Pardon Petitions and Amnesty Papers
- Petitions, affidavits, and correspondence of those Alabamians seeking amnesty offered by President Johnson following the Civil War. Index for entire series, Special Collection houses only Alabama section. (MFS 809)
Alabama - Internal Revenue Assessment Lists
- Lists of those assessed for property, goods, etc. 1865 - 1866 (MFS536)
Alabama - County Records (microfilmed; Partial Listing)
- Bibb County (MFS 573)
- Blount County (MFS 572)
- Choctaw County (MFS 572, 576)
- Conecuh County (MFS 572, 575)
- Coosa County (MFS 587)
- Jefferson County (MFS 605 - 6 reels)
- Monroe County (MFS 578)
- Talladega County (MFS 590)
- Wilcox County (MFS 580 - 9 reels)
Alabama- Mortality Schedules
- List of all people who died during the year prior to June 1 of the census year: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (MFS 841). ; Published copy for 1850 and 1860 (shelved with census index)
Alabama - Freedman's Bureau Papers
- Correspondence, reports, etc. of those in charge of and working with the Freedman's Bureau, 1865 - 1870. (MFS 809)
American Home Missionary Society Papers, 1816 - 1936
- Correspondence, reports, etc. of the teachers and missionaries to the Board. 385 reels (MFS 727). ; Printed Index CD 3065.C6 H6 1975x
American Sunday School Union Papers, 1816 - 1936
- Correspondence, reports, etc. of those establishing Sunday Schools; data from the schools. (MFS 795) ; Printed index BV 1503.A75 S64 1980
American Papers of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, 1701 - 1711
- Correspondence, reports, etc. from missionaries sent by the Church of England to the American Colonies. ; Materials arranged by colony. (MFS 828)
Bledsoe- Kelly Collection
- Collection of correspondence, family charts, abstracted family and county materials collected and compiled by Maud McLure Kelly. (SC 829 & SC 2739)
- Collection of correspondence, affidavits, reports of service of the Revolutionary War veterans compiled by Lyman C. Draper. ; Available: King's Mountain and Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina series. (MFS 603)
- Collection of materials - family data, county sources, etc. of North Carolina. 72 reels; index on 3 reels. ; Materials arranged alphabetically. (MFS 382)
North Carolina Marriage Bonds
- North Carolina marriage bonds (1741 - 1868) were statements of intent for couples who planned to wed. (MHB 7) ; Printed guide F 253.J3 1977x
Panton, Leslie and CO. Papers
- Materials collected by Panton, Leslie and Co. Subjects: Indians of North America, Southern States, and Trading Posts. (MFS 881) ; Printed guide E 78.S65 P36 1986x