Special Collection Policies and Services
The Special Collection department and University Archives serves the Samford University and Alabama Baptist community. The collection is open to the public and all researchers are welcome to use the materials during our hours of operation; Monday – Friday 9:00 am-5:00 pm. We recommend outside researchers contact the collection for an appointment to insure the availability of our staff members during your research visit. If the collection is in use by students, a class or group; outside researchers may be asked to wait before materials can be pulled for use.
Research Room Policies
- Sign-in on the Special Collection register before you begin your research.
- Personal items such as book bags, brief cases, purses, etc. should remain closed under the tables while you work. Utilize the provided paper and writing implements.
- Fill out a Call Slip to request materials. A Special Collection staff member will pull materials from the closed stacks for you.
- Special Collection materials MUST remain within the collection at all times.
- Due to the nature of manuscript materials, we ask that you research one folder at a time.
- When using manuscript materials, please do not disturb the arrangement of papers or folders.
- Please handle all materials with care. Materials should not be leaned upon, written upon, marked, altered, or otherwise mishandled. Researchers are responsible for materials they use.
- Researchers suspected of theft or vandalism may be subjected to search and prosecution in accordance with the laws of the State of Alabama.
- Please use pencils when making notes inside the Special Collection department.
- Permission to publish Special Collection materials must be obtained in advance from the department and, if applicable, from the depositor of the material. Once permission is granted, the proper credit line will be provided for you.
- Researchers agree to acknowledge Samford University’s Special Collection and University Archives as holding the original documents. Researchers agree not to duplicate documents for sale.
- The Special Collection department adheres to copyright laws.
- Food and Drinks are not allowed in the collection. For your convenience, a patron lounge is available to you on the lower level of the building.
- Failure to comply with Special Collection policies will result in a loss of use privileges.
Duplication of Special Collection Materials
- Duplication for research purposes is permitted. We reserve the right to decline photocopying, photographic, or digital reproduction due to copyright, confidentiality, or condition of material.
- For many Special Collection materials, digital cameras may be used for research purposes. Please check with the staff before using your camera.
- We reserve the right to limit the use of our collections for commercial purposes. Formal permission is required for any commercial and publishing/broadcasting purposes.
- Initial payment fees for research and reproductions should be made in advance.
|Photocopy||$10 for up to 20 pages and 25 cents per page thereafter up to an additional 20 copies. If the correct citation is not given, the request will be treated as a research request|
|Digital File Retrieval||$5 per image, 300 dpi jpeg|
|New Scan for Personal Use||$15 per image, 300 dpi jpeg|
|Digital Image for Commercial Use||$25 per image, 300 dpi tiff. A permission form should be requested from the Special Collection Department|
|Researchers Requesting Research Assistance||
$30, non-refundable. The search will include; The Alabama Baptist Index, The Information Index, University Archives Indexes, The University Library Catalog. The fee covers up to 50 photocopies.
We are unable to perform extensive genealogical searches.
Research requests may be submitted via the form below.
Requests will be filled in the order they are received.
Special Collection Research Request Form
For best results, keep requests narrow and specific. Please allow six to eight weeks to receive a response.