Special Collection Treasures feature different materials housed in the Special Collection, Samford University Library.
Baseball and the Barons have been in Birmingham since around 1885. In the early years, the games were played at a small field in West End Park. On August 18, 1910 the game moved to a new home, Rickwood Field. The field was named for Rick Woodward, an enthusiastic baseball fan, chairman of the Woodward Iron Company, and new owner of the Birmingham Coal Barons. The stadium was built to seat about 5,000 people but at the first opening game, there were reports of 10,000 eager baseball fans in attendance.
Rick Woodward is pictured above, third from the left.
Picture taken from the east end grandstand on the opening day of the 1912 baseball season.
Birmingham Age Herald, August 1910
Whitt, Timothy, Bases Loaded with History: The Story of Rickwood Field, America's Oldest Baseball Park, 1995