Rickwood Field

Special Collection Treasures

Published September–October 2010 by Special Collection
Headline

Birmingham Age Herald, August 1910. Article

Baseball and the Barons have been in Birmingham since around 1885. In the early years, the games were played at a small field in West End Park. On August 18, 1910 the game moved to a new home, Rickwood Field. The field was named for Rick Woodward, an enthusiastic baseball fan, chairman of the Woodward Iron Company, and new owner of the Birmingham Coal Barons. The stadium was built to seat about 5,000 people but at the first opening game, there were reports of 10,000 eager baseball fans in attendance.

text
Rick Woodward is pictured third from the left
text
Picture taken from the east end grandstand on the opening day of the 1912 baseball season

Resources

  • Birmingham Age Herald, August 1910
  • Rickwood Field
  • Whitt, Timothy, Bases Loaded with History: The Story of Rickwood Field, America's Oldest Baseball Park, 1995