Treasures in Special Collection
Features different materials housed in the Special Collection, Samford University Library. View Treasures.
browse by Collection Group
First published in 1910, The Entre Nous serves as the school's yearbook. The digital collection includes the volumes for 1912 – 2009 and 2003. Additional volumes are available in Special Collection.
Howard College catalogs provide information about the academic programs, leadership, and financial information about the school. They are also a source for finding more information about an academic year and campus life. The digital collection includes 1845 through 1913. Later catalogs are available by visiting Special Collection.
Howard College began publication of the student-run newspaper The Howard Crimson in 1915. In 1965, Howard College was renamed Samford University, and The Howard Crimson changed its name to The Samford Crimson. Many alumni and faculty that have built and left their mark on the University reside in this digitized resource.
This collection of photographs documents student life, sporting activities, classroom scenes, events and buildings related to Samford University, once called Howard College. Howard College was first founded in Marion, Alabama in 1841. In 1887, it moved to the East Lake area of Birmingham. In 1957, the campus was moved to Homewood, right outside of Birmingham. In 1965, Howard College changed its name to Samford University. The images in this collection come from the collections of the Special Collection department of the Samford University Library. This collection also includes photographs documenting various activities related to Samford University's Cumberland School of Law.
This collection consists of published materials from the Samford University Archives.
Alabama Baptist associations are formed in cooperation of individual churches in a geographic area. Each fall, church messengers discuss business and provide reports to the association. Associational minutes generally include information about each church within the association. Special Collection has digitized the minutes of Alabama Baptist Associations prior to 1901. Information for other years can be found by visiting Special Collection.
These annuals are published each year after the fall meeting. The annuals include business proceedings, historical tables, statistical tables for Baptist associations across the state, and reports from Alabama Baptist entities. The digital records include information for 1823 – 1913. Later years can be accessed by visiting Special Collection
The Special Collection Department at Samford University serves as the repository for the Alabama Baptist State Convention and strives to preserve the rich religious history of the state. This collection of images documents the church buildings and activities of many Christian denominations throughout Alabama with a focus on Baptist activities. These images are taken from the holdings of the Special Collection department of Samford University.
Explore Alabama history through the Alabama Photographs and Pictures Collection
The Alabama Steamboats Digital Collection consist of digitized photographs and clippings from the Special Collection holdings of the Samford University Library. Many of the images are digitized for inclusion in Alabama Mosaic.
This collection consists of personal correspondence from Thomas L. Fielder (1835-1862) to his wife Jane Fielder. An attorney and owner of the Troy Advertiser in Pike County, Alabama, Thomas L. Fielder served as a quartermaster sergeant with the 3rd Battalion, Hilliard's Legion, Alabama Volunteers, Company E during the early years of the Civil War. Also included in this collection is personal correspondence from James B. Luckie of Alabama to Jane Fielder. Luckie was a surgeon in the 43rd Regiment, Alabama Infantry.
A collection of letters written during the Civil War. Many of these letters were written by
Private William Thomas Jackson, who served with Company A. of the 8th Alabama Infantry Regiment to his wife, Mary Ellen Jackson, and his mother, Balzora Jackson. These letters are housed in the Special Collection Department of Samford University, call number: SC 6061, and were a gift of Virginia Jackson.
A collection of manuscripts from Samford University Special Collection. This collection will continue to grow.