Book your appointmentResearchers are welcome in accordance with Campus Protocols.
Samford Guests, those not a current student or employee, need an appointment for access to materials. Guests should contact Special Collection prior to making an appointment. Desired use, assistance, and access to resources are not guaranteed.
Special Collection Use
Reading Room Policies
- Before you begin your research, please sign the Special Collection Register Book found near the front door.
- While in the Reading Room, if you wish to research additional material, please fill out our digital SC Call Slip. A Special Collection staff member will pull materials from the closed stacks for you.
- Personal items such as book bags, briefcases, purses, etc., should remain closed under the tables while you work.
- Please use pencils when making notes inside the Special Collection department. Utilize the provided paper and writing implements.
- Please do not bring any food and beverages into Special Collection. For your convenience, a patron lounge is available to you on the lower level of the building.
- Please handle all materials with care and with clean hands. Materials should not be leaned upon, written upon, marked, altered, or otherwise mishandled. Researchers are responsible for materials they use.
- When using manuscript materials, please do not disturb the arrangement of papers or folders. We ask that you research one folder at a time.
- Please keep everything in the same order in both the box and folder as you received it.
- Special Collection equipment is for Samford resources and research purposes only.
- Researchers suspected of theft or vandalism may be subjected to search and prosecution in accordance with the laws of the State of Alabama.
- Failure to comply with Special Collection policies will result in a loss of use privileges.
Duplication and Publishing
- Duplication for research purposes is permitted. For many Special Collection materials, hand-held personal digital cameras or camera phones may be used to make copies of materials in the Reading Room. Please check with the staff before using your camera.
- For security and preservation reasons, tripods, and additional lights, including built-in flashes are not permitted in the Reading Room.
- We reserve the right to decline photocopying, photographic, or digital reproduction due to copyright, confidentiality, or condition of material.
- Researchers agree to acknowledge Samford University's Special Collection and University Archives as holding the original documents. Researchers agree not to duplicate documents for sale.
- Permission to publish Special Collection materials must be obtained in advance from the department and, if applicable, from the depositor of the material. Once permission is granted, the proper credit line will be provided for you.
- The Special Collection Department adheres to copyright laws. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The Special Collection Department reserves the right to refuse to accept a duplication request if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the request would involve violation of copyright law.
- Please visit the Duplication Fees & Services for more information on charges and making a Research Request.