These are the most frequently asked questions in Special Collection. At the end is a searchable list to additional questions.

I am not part of the Samford Community, can I still use your collection?

Yes. The Special Collection department is open to the public. Guests are welcome to use the collection at any time during its operating hours. The collection is open Monday - Friday. Before planning your visit, please check the library's hours.

Can materials be checked out of Special Collection?

No. Use of the materials in the collection is restricted to the department.

Can I make photocopies of Special Collection materials?

Yes. However, materials considered fragile may not be copied. Please ask a Special Collection staff member before making your photocopies.

How much do photocopies cost?

Photocopies and microfilm copies are $.10 a page. You must purchase a photocopy card to make photocopies. Copy cards are available for purchase by the Circulation Desk for a $1.

Can I use my own camera to make a picture?

Yes, for most materials. Please check with a Special Collection Staff member before taking photographs or scanning documents.

Can I search your collection online?

Yes and No. Published materials in the collection have been included in the Samford Libraries Catalog. However, finding aids for manuscript materials are only available inside the collection. You can also use the online Special Collection Database.

How do I find out what you have?

Samford's Special Collection focuses on Alabama and Baptist materials. You can search the catalog to look for specific items or subjects. The Overview page will give you a brief introduction to the collection.

If I cannot get to your library, how can I access your materials?

Some materials on microfilm are available through Interlibrary Loan. This includes newspapers, church records, periodicals, pamphlets, and some family history. A Duplication & Research Request Form may also be completed online.

Will you look up information for me if I don't live in the area?

Yes. As time permits, we will be happy to perform basic searches through our indexes and manuscript records. However, the department is not adequately staffed to fill in-depth research requests. Special Collection Duplication & Research Request Form

I am writing for publication, can you send me an image to use?

Yes. If material is in the public domain or belongs to Samford University, we most likely can provide images for use in your publication. You will need to contact us for a Permission to Publish form. There may be costs associated with providing the files.


Search LibAnswers for frequently answered questions compiled by the Ask Us desk. Answers include all library departments and services.