Special Collection Treasures
Fifty Years in Homewood
When enrollment increased, Major Harwell G. Davis had a vision for a new and more accommodating campus.
During the early 1950's a site for the new campus was found.
Groundbreaking for the new Homewood campus was in 1953. L-R on ground: Contractor D.W. Ellard, Architect Charles B. Davis, Architect E.B. Van Keuren, John H. Buchanan, college Business Manager John G. Burton, and college Dean Percy Pratt Burns. L-R on tractor: Board of Trustees President Frank Park Samford, Sr., Trustee Paul A. Redmond, President Davis and his grandson Bill Eshelman.
Senior Troy Scogin and Freshman June Bailey look down on the newly paved intersection that would become Montague Drive and Sherman Circle.
The first building to be constructed was the Administration building. It was named in honor of Frank Park Samford, who lent the backing for the initial move.
The New Homewood campus as it was in January 1957. Classes did not begin on the new campus until September.
- Entre Nous 1958
- History of Samford
- Howard Alumnus 1953 - 1957
- Special Collection, Samford University Library, SCAV 1065 Campus Aerial Views